TWO LOCAL FESTIVITIES: SAINT ISIDRO 15th of MAY and SAINT JOHN 24th of JUNE.
May and June mark the celebration of both Saint Isidro and Saint John in Nerja. Saint Isidro Labrador is the Patron Saint of farmers and has two shrines devoted to him in Nerja. In spite of the agricultural crisis the devotion for Saint Isidro is very strong amongst the farming community in Nerja.
Saint John´s day marks the beginning of the summer and is widely celebrated by everybody in town night and day. Typical activities include spending a day out on the beach, eating sardines, concerts, etc.
1st Pre-task: try to find the locations of both Saint Isidro´s shrines. .
2nd Pre-task: Establish connections between the religious festivities and their pagan origins:
Christmas = yule = winter solstice.
Spring = Easter.
Autumn Equinox = Candelaria - Nerja Fair.
1. Find out about midsummer night celebrations in England (Stonehenge) and in Spain (Nerja).
2. Which local traditions are associated with these dates?
3. What do the following words suggest: druids, dolmen, menhir, runes, megalith, New Age, ancestral wisdom?
4. Draw your favourite gypsy dress. Use your imagination.
5. Describe your daily routine on Saint Isidro or Saint John.
6. Write a composition on the following topic: my ideal fun day.